Biological/Mercury Safe Dentistry
What Is Biological Dentistry
Biological dentistry combines the techniques and artistry of traditional general dentistry with a focus on the implications oral health has on the entire body. Biological dentistry recognizes the link between oral health and general health. A biological dentist appreciates that the diseases and materials in your mouth can have lasting, negative effects on other systems in your body. Biological dentists also work with other like-minded health care providers to assess the compatibility of dental materials, to provide nutritional support, and, if needed, to provide detoxification from the damaging effects of oral toxins. The biological dentist keeps your whole health in mind, not just the condition of your teeth and mouth. Biological dentistry can be categorized as conscious dentistry. It is conscious of how treatments of the teeth and jaws affect the individual’s overall health. Biological dentistry considers biomechanical, biochemical, bioelectric and emotional factors all to be important in achieving overall good health and wellness.
Dental therapies should work in harmony with the body’s natural ability to heal and repair itself.
A biological dentist:
- Never uses mercury (silver amalgam) fillings
- Follows protective protocols when removing mercury fillings
- Offers biocompatibility testing for dental materials
- Uses metal free restorations and replacements in the mouth according to compatibility testing
- Does not use ingested fluoride
- Practices biocompatible gum therapy
- Has equipment designed to protect the environment.
- Uses digital x-ray technology to significantly reduce the harmful affects of radiation
- Works in conjunction with other allied health professionals (MDs, nauturopaths, nutritionists, etc.)
- Receives continuing education in the field of biological dentistry